Did you know?
When you have a good time you forget to take pictures, you get lost in the moment of joy and bliss.
When you are enjoying the company of your date you usually forget your phone, your world.
Forget the world for one night of the week and no matter how hard it is, spend time with your husband, spend time with your wife. Hold hands, hold each other and most importantly, leave the phones else where.
Here are some of our favorite ideas for your date night when the kids are asleep. Take 15 minutes, half hour or the whole night, once a week to grow closer to your spouse, the most important relationship, after your relationship with God of course.
- Make a gourmet meal together. One of you can take the time to grocery shop and pick out a special recipe – this can be the time to recreate your first date, or your favorite date from the past. Get dressed up in your fancy clothes, use the wedding china and get some candles.
- Exchange a massage. Pick a body part, because the woman who cares for a child all day long will never complain about a foot massage.
- Bubble bath and wine – the rest is left to your imagination.
- Work out together. Who knows, a little sweat and then a shower is good for the marriage.
- Go down memory lane and look through pictures/videos from when you were dating, from the wedding, vacations or honeymoon.
- Have a dance party.
- Get blue apron and cook a meal for your spouse and enjoy the conversation once kids are in bed.
- Learn a new dance move or a new style together using youtube video tutorials.
- Host a dinner party and enjoy the company of another couple. Nothing like having people over to make you feel like normal functioning people of society.
- Make a meal for a family in need. Cooking together brings you closer. So it’s a great idea to let that benefit someone else. You can find out from a church or local charity who may be sick or in need of a meal.
- Do a house project together. Pick something small that will allow you to DIY together.
- Do a yard project together. You will spend time alone, rely on each other and learn new ways to communicate when doing, at the same time another topic to discuss other then kids.
- Make 15 sandwiches and deliver them to the homeless. Ok, one of you will have to stay home with the baby monitor, but you’re doing a good deed at the same time!
- Read a book together, even better to each other. Pick wisely on this one, there are plenty of adult books to read, some with lots of pictures. Just saying.
- Make your favorite cocktail and enjoy a relaxing evening with your favorite martini.
- Bake cookies, put them into cute little bags and drop them off to the neighbors mail boxes with inspirational quotes, without signing who its from. Chances are the baby monitor may work when you walk across the street, depending where you live, and you’ll get an adrenalin rush making sure no one can see you
- Watch a movie together. This may be a go to for most couples, just make sure you don’t fall asleep.
- Do a spring cleaning project.
- Do a wine tasting. This is one of my personal favorites especially after 9 dry months.
- Paint something together – can be a weekend project instead of just one night.
- Start learning a new language together, even if it’s youtube videos, even if its just for humor.
- Have a TV show marathon. 24 works great for this one, or it’s just a great way to catch up on all your favorite shows with some pop corn and cuddles.
- Sit in front of the fireplace and make out like teenagers. If you’re in upstate NY, this is a good one right now, it’s been incredibly cold and windy for March.
- Organize each others’ closet. Spend some time doing a runway show and let your spouse choose what clothes stay and what needs to be donated (bonus is saving money on date night so you can do some online shopping for new things after this one)
- Appetizer tasting. If you are tired of cooking for date night or tired of cooking period, pick up your favorite appetizers and do a tasting like the professional would.
- Fold laundry. If you don’t have a lot of time, or if you just have a lot of chores to catch up on, do the chores and make a little competition out of it. Whoever folds laundry first picks their reward of choice. You may be surprised that it will become your husbands favorite date night yet.
- Do a pedicure for each other, because men like to have their feet soaked and massaged too, they just don’t know it yet.
- Watch your husbands favorite sport, who knows, you may like it.
- Get take out and sit on the floor for dinner like you’re in college.
- Go for a walk, even if it means a lunch date and your baby napping is in the stroller while you’re walking.
- Sit down to plan your next vacation. You can dream right? There will be a time you can travel again just the two of you or you can take your new baby with you (be on the look out for my post about traveling with an infant).
- Mini golf. You can buy a mini gold starter kit on amazon and move some furniture in the living room for a night of simple fun.
- Coffee tasting. There is something about being a new parent – you are always drinking caffeine. So why not take advantage and french press locally roasted coffee.
- Bubble bath and wine. Because this one deserves a repeat on my list.
- Ask your spouse to teach you something, it can be sports, a favorite hobby or maybe cooking your favorite dish.
- Play cards, or board games. Whatever your favorite one is out of the two.
- Have you seen the movie “the fault in our stars”? There is a scene where the two kids in love lay on the grass and stare up at the sky. So do that. During one of the blood moons my husband and I climbed on the roof of our porch through the window, just looked at it for a while and took pictures. Whatever your version may be.
- Run through snow in your underwear. You may want to do this one at night to not scare the neighbors. If you don’t have snow – find a way to take a mud bath, even if its just for your feet.
- Breakfast in bed. Because weekends are the best and kids take naps during the day, and no one will notice if breakfast is at lunch time.
- Skinny dipping, it will be even more fun if its in your neighbors pool. After midnight of course.
- Play chess, or learn how to.
- Have an indoor picnic.
- Facials and those little cucumber circles for your own children induced dark circles. If your man is helping you out with kids, or if he’s just working really hard, then he will definitely enjoy this little spa at home kind of time with you.
- Order pizza delivery and pig out because you can still wear maternity jeans after the baby, they call it the fourth trimester, or firth or something..
- “Husband does my makeup” it’s a youtube thing, and I think in the end if you can get your man to do it you will end up on the floor laughing so hard trying to not wake up the kids that you will appreciate the silly times more then you think you would.
- Five more to go, you’re almost at the end of the year ideas. So I just want to stop and pause and tell you that it’s ok to just take a nap. Sometimes it’s ok to just sleep when the kids sleep.
- Take a long shower together.
- Make a time capsule video or letter. You can make it for your kids to view years later.
- Bake or make your favorite deserts (because not all couples have the same favorite desert) and sit down to talk about your goals. With kids and life in the way, it’s not easy to keep your eye on the prize. Talk about your goals and review the ones you wrote down in the past. They can be individual, or goals and dreams for your family as one.
- Ice cream sunday night. It’s a great desert to just skip over. Also since its so sweet, take time to talk about your financial goals. They usually will be a bit bitter with a look into the future, so dream sweet big dreams for your family financial future. The more you talk about it, the more you will stay on top of it.
- Pick your favorite date night idea out of the list above and repeat. Because why not.
I had a fun time with this list, what’s your favorite date night to spend with your spouse?
Ladies, love your man. Men, love your woman and hug her extra every night.